- "This painting of the living room at Roselon [was] owned by Mr. and Mrs. Claire Cook. She [Helen Cook] thinks it is one of the best he [Paul Hadley] ever did. The deep dark wood of the recessed window, and the melodeon have unusual depth. The ladder back chair and portrait of Lincoln are an interesting bit of Americana, and the rug was typical of pioneer days."
Elias Hadley land patent (3/10/1827)
Unfortunately, we were unable to find anywhere to safely pull off Keller Hill Road at the exact spot where Elias Hadley's/James Lindley's/the Wheeler's land was situated. The closest we could come was Jessup Way, about a quarter mile east of the property. Still, as the 1931 Indianapolis Sunday Star article stated, "Since no public road leads to it [Roselon], there is peace and quiet for the many nature lovers who visit it as guests of the family and there are many birds, which make it their home place." Not wanting to trespass across anyone's land, we stayed in the car and sent Scowl-Face to take photos of the nearby hills, which resemble those crossing what was once the Roselon estate.
The Wheeler family also owed a "town home" on the southwest corner of the intersection of South Indiana and High Streets near downtown Mooresville, which was a few blocks from Banner Mills.