Cauli Le Chat

Cauli Le Chat
Cauli Le Chat, MPL Roving Reporter

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Shape of Things to Come

What will be changing when my blogs are moved to the Library's new, soon-to-be-launched website?  It's a fair question.

  • Blog URL Change:  Blogger will no longer be hosting the library blogs; instead, our new website will directly host them.  That will mean new URLs for all blogs, and, consequently, an end to my Blogger-based blogging.

  • Musical Closers:  Since all content featured in the blog must be library-owned, the music videos I traditionally garner from YouTube to close my blog postings will cease.  I may still post relevant library videos featuring The Music Man's original scores, but there won't be as much variety as we've enjoyed in the past.

  • Images:  Even "share-alike" attribution images available from the Internet, which I've been using since the blog's beginnings, will no longer be included on future blog posts.  Only photos taken by library staff will be uploaded.  That's going to cut WAY back on image variety, especially when it comes to jokes and punchlines.

  • Website Hosting of Visual Materials:  The reason for all these restrictions is that photos and "still" graphics for library blogs must first be uploaded to the library website and then inserted in the blogs.  We can only upload what the library owns (share-alike won't work under those conditions).  If we have to use images uploaded directly to our website, we can't continue to embed directly from, or link directly to, share-alike images elsewhere on the web, as we are currently permitted to do.  The only exception is our YouTube videos, because we own all rights to these.

Practically, this confines my blog content to strictly library-centric information.  Frankly, that means losing all those quirky posts about strange holidays or other goings-on out there in the world that would require external visual content.  If we had been operating under these rules starting in December, 2010, I'm guessing over 80 percent of this blog's (current) 734 postings would have been unusable.

Well, that's the future for my blogs, such as it is.  I'm frankly disappointed, but those are the new rules, and we will have to abide by them.

I'll Keep You Posted When the Change Will Occur,

Cauli Le Chat
MPL Roving Reporter
New Website News Beat



P.S.  Since musical closers will almost entirely disappear from "new website" blogging, I'll take advantage of my present opportunity to post "Changes," by David Bowie, from the LP Hunky Dory (1971).

No comments:

Post a Comment