Lucky, by Chris Hill
(MPL Book Trailer #263)
- Lucky escaped the talons of a hawkenswooper (humans call them hawks, probably for short);
- He was "adopted" by a grey scurrydog clan called the Cloudfoot;
- He hasn't gotten beaten up (yet) by the rival scurrydog clan, the Northenders;
- He's living in Albion Park, which has bunches of places where humans toss away perfectly good food (plus the trees have nuts, the bushes berries, etc., which I assume scurrydogs eat);
- None of the many other predators in the park (including slobberdogs and felines) have decided to make a snack out of him; and
- He's a character in a book, so the writer can get him out of any tight jams with a flourish of keyboard strokes.