Cauli Le Chat

Cauli Le Chat
Cauli Le Chat, MPL Roving Reporter

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Make With the Music, Minions

My library minions have subscribed to Freegal Music, so that all of our wonderful patrons may use their MPL-issued Evergreen Indiana library cards to download FREE music.  As my blog's musical closers demonstrate, music is critically important to my library's mission.  Of course, we offer music CDs that patrons may check-out, but online downloading is the future, so we're there, with bells on.

Click Logo to jump to MPL's log-in page on Freegal

What's this Freegal all about, you may wonder?  There's an FAQ about that.  There are millions of tunes available from over 10,000 labels, including the Sony Music catalog available in your country (it varies from place to place, apparently).

Bottom line:  If you have one of these (issued from Mooresville Public Library) . . .


. . . you may log-into the Freegal Music download website.  You will need to know your library card barcode, which is the number printed on the back of your E.I. library card, as well as your PIN, which is the password to your online E.I. account.  (You may log-into your E.I. account through our website, if you wish to change your PIN at any time.)  Once you've logged into Freegal, you may search their massive music database to find what you want to hear.  Then it's a quick click to download, and you're good to go.

There's a weekly limit, however.  You may download three songs per week.  Nobody wants to see folks' ears falling off from going overboard, if you'll excuse my mixed metaphors.

On the plus side, once you've downloaded a tune, it's YOURS TO KEEP FOREVER!  Three FREE songs every week is quite the bargain, I'd venture.

If you have an E.I. library card issued from another E.I. library (i.e., not us), then you should check that library's website to see if there's a Freegal link.  Many public libraries across Indiana subscribe to Freegal.  If you're not sure from which library your E.I. card was issued, check the back of the card.  The issuing library's name is printed there.

My minions have already downloaded a cool song for moi, from my favorite 1960s winged dinner folk rock band.  Now you try, as Broadway Gal would say (in her "Sammy's Mama wannabe a rockstar" videos).



Your Roving Reporter On The Go,


Cauli Le Chat


P.S.  So you wanna hear the tune my minions downloaded for moi from Freegal?  Sure you do.  Here's the Byrds' cover of a Woody Guthrie song, "Pretty Boy Floyd," from the LP, Sweetheart of the Rodeo (1968).  Is that Gram Parsons I hear playing there somewhere?  Just curious.  This country-rock blend was a departure from the psychedelic-rock that peppered the Byrds' previous album, The Notorious Byrd Brothers (1968), which featured the then-new Moog synthesizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment